Frequently Asked Questions
Location and Facility Information
- Our location is wheelchair-accessible.
- There is shared on-site parking.
- Heat and air-conditioned space.
- Restrooms available.
Safety and Insurance Information
Battle Axes, LLC is fully-insured. We do not disclose information about our insurance coverage for competitive reasons. A copy of our liability waiver, which must be signed by all guests before throwing or spectating, is available online and at our location.
What hours are you open?
Monday – Thursday: 2 pm – 10 pm
Friday – Saturday: 12 noon – 12 am
Sunday: 12 noon – 10 pm
*Special times for groups of 31+ can be arranged outside of our normal business hours.
How much does it cost?
- 2-3 players: $25/hour/player (plus 6% Kentucky sales tax)
- 4-10 players: $20/hour/player (plus 6% Kentucky sales tax)
- $1600/hour for whole venue reservation (plus 6% Kentucky sales tax)
- 4 to 30 players: 25% deposit
- 31+ players: 50% deposit
- Whole venue reservation: 50% deposit
- Please arrive at least 10 minutes before your reservation to complete waiver(s) and purchase refreshments. Players may also pre-register to save time at check-in.
- Play will end 5 minutes before the reservation concludes for pit maintenance and transitioning
- Reservations will not be extended for late arrivals
What kinds of shoes are allowed?
No open-toed shoes or heels permitted. We don’t want to turn anyone away, so we have a limited number of shoes available to rent for $2/hour.
What do I wear?
Our facility has heat and air so wear comfortable clothing. Restrictive clothing may render throwing more difficult.
What else do I need to bring?
Each player is required to show a valid driver’s license at check-in or they won’t be admitted.
*Waiver only valid for day of play.
Do you have refreshments available?
We are proud to carry over 60 canned beers, ciders, and hard seltzers, many of which are Kentucky Proud – plus sodas, bottled water, and snacks.
No outside containers, open or closed, will be permitted on-premise.
What is the drinking policy?
If any member of the staff feels a guest is intoxicated, they will not be allowed to throw and no refund will be issued.
If a guest arrives intoxicated for a reservation, they will not be admitted and no refund will be issued.
Do you allow catering?
Pre-approved catering will be permitted for large groups, but we do not supply any plates, napkins, cutlery, etc.
May I cancel a reservation?
We do not cancel reservations, but we will gladly transfer reservations – and deposits – to a more suitable date.
In the event of a no-show your card-on-file will be charged for the deposit amount, either 25% or 50% depending on the size of your party.
In the event of a walk-out your card-on-file will be charged for any/all unpaid players.
Any open beverage/merchandise tabs left open will be closed on your behalf with 20% gratuity added.
Starting February 1, there will be a fine of $100/pit/hour enforced for parties who reserve multiple pits but arrive without adequate throwers to fill them. Similarly, parties will be held accountable to pay for their entire reservation; i.e. if 2 hours are reserved but players want to leave after 1, they will still be charged for 2.
Is there a minimum number to have in my group?
A minimum group of 2 is required to reserve a private pit. Our average group size ranges from 6 to 10 people. Please advise us if your group will be larger or smaller so we may staff accordingly.
Do you take walk-ins?
Walk-ins are welcome for groups of up to 9 players. When necessary, walk-in groups will be placed with other walk-in groups.
- 30 minute sessions, starting promptly on the hour and half hour
- Subject to availability
- Groups of 2 or more are strongly encouraged to reserve a private pit online at least 24 hours in advance
- Cash and credit accepted at venue
- Reservations available online with a credit card, which will be put on file in the event of a cancellation or no-show, but not charged otherwise
What if I have a large group?
Groups of 30 or less may only book during regular business hours and may do so online. Please call ahead to make reservations for groups larger than 30, or submit an event request form here. We can accommodate a whole venue reservation of up to 116 people.
May I reserve a private pit online?
YES! And it is strongly encouraged that you do so.
How much play time do I get?
2-10 players may book a pit for 1-2 hours. It is recommended that groups of 8 or more players book no less than 2 hours of play to ensure that each receives ample throwing time. The first 5-10 minutes of every session will be allotted toward safety training and practice. The last 5 minutes of every session will be dedicated to pit turnover.
How does scoring work?
- The bullseye is worth 5 points.
- The inner ring is worth 3 points.
- The outer ring is worth 1 point.
- The bonus areas, called ‘clutches,’ in the upper corners are worth 7 points.
- Players must declare that they are going to throw for a clutch before attempting.
- Players can only throw for the clutch on the 5th and final throw of the round.
- Accidental bonus points for clutches are not valid. They MUST be called before the throw. No call equals no points.
- Once the clutch is called, only that point area is valid and all other point areas do not count towards your score.
- A clutch call can be taken back after it is called but it must be announced to their opponent and the score keeper.
- If the axe sticks and then falls out of the target, it is worth 0 points. This includes an axe that falls out before the thrower has pulled their axe from the target.
When does the match end?
Matches consist of 3 rounds. During each round, each player gets 5 throws. Depending on the number of players and the pace of matches, sessions may consist of multiple matches. All play ends 5 minutes before reservations conclude to allow for pit transition and maintenance.
Are there any wait times?
Although we try to accommodate all walk-ins, there will be occasions when we are too busy to place them in a private pit; in these instances, walk-in groups may be combined.
We recommend booking pits at least 2 to 3 weeks in advance. Due to capacity restrictions, only a small numbers of spectators may be admitted.
Are spectators allowed?
Spectators are permitted for $15/hour. Due to capacity restrictions, only a small number will be admitted.
Can anyone throw an axe?
We are an 18+ venue after 5:00 p.m. Daily from open until 5 p.m. we will permit 13-17 year olds to throw while accompanied by a parent/guardian (limit 2 minors per adult). We have no restrictions regarding pregnant women throwing axes. Please use your own judgement.
What happens if I arrive late for my reservation?
While we have some flexibility with handling late arrivals, we strongly encourage guests to arrive 10 minutes before their reservation, otherwise the total session time will be reduced. Due to scheduling restrictions sessions can’t be extended.
Players may pre-register prior to arrival to expedite the check-in process.
Can I arrive early to my reservation?
Guests are encouraged to arrive about 10 minutes prior to their scheduled session to complete waivers, and will have free access to their pit provided it’s not in use. However, if any materials (i.e. decorations, catering implements) need to be dropped off earlier than this, please contact us to make special arrangements, and we’ll do whatever we can to help out. Players may also pre-register prior to arrival to expedite the check-in process.